The Massachusetts Marine Educators (MME) have been hosting a High School Marine Science Symposium since 1984. This event attracts hundreds of high schoolers and their teachers to come together and learn about research and practice around marine science topics and issues. The event features both keynote speakers in a plenary format as well as hands-on break-out workshops led by scientists, policymakers, graduate students, and others engaged in marine-related careers. The event is co-sponsored by the Northeastern University Marine Science Center, with additional support from Salem State University.
|Audience: High School Students and their teachers/chaperones
Date and Location: March 9, 2017 at Northeastern University in Boston and March 15, 2017 at Salem State University
Featured Speakers: We have over thirty incredible workshop presenters across the two events (see registration packs for more info). This year we will also introduce a series of lightning talks where workshop presenters will have a chance to share a story of something that inspired them early in their career and/or that makes them passionate on the job. Each symposium will feature a prominent keynote speaker as well:
Cost: $13 per student, includes lunch. Schools are responsible for providing their own transportation to/from the event, and this includes schools receiving scholarship funds.
Scholarships: This year we are pleased to offer a limited number of scholarships to students attending school in districts where >50% of students are classified as economically disadvantaged (click here to check eligibility based on district profiles). Scholarships will be available on a first-come, first-served basis until all funds are allocated. Due to the limited amount available, there is no guarantee that an entire class or school will be covered.
Flyer: Click here to download an event flyer.
UPDATE 1/31/17 – Both events are almost full. We are still accepting applications for students from Districts that meet the scholarship criteria (below), and all other interested parties can be added to the waiting list by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
1) Download and read the registration pack for the event you want to attend.
2) Register online for the event you want to attend.
3) Pay either online via PayPal, or initiate a Purchase Order for payment by check made out to Northeastern University. An invoice will be sent to you upon registration. Full payment is expected by the day of the event.
4) Collect student workshop preferences available in the registration packs (see above) and submit to email@example.com by February 27th. To the greatest extent possible, workshop attendance will be assigned based on student preferences while ensuring an even distribution of participants in each session.
5) Collect media releases for every student and chaperone (included in the registration pack), and bring these with you on the day of the event.
6) Boston event only: Please read the University’s Policy for Programs Involving Minors and Code of Conduct for Programs Involving Minors. Sign and submit the Third Party Certification Form (found in the registration pack) by February 27th.
If you or your organization is interested in providing scholarships for students from low-income school districts to participate in the event, please click here to make a donation by credit card or mail a check payable to “Massachusetts Marine Educators” to Lydia Breen, Treasurer, Massachusetts Marine Educators, 31 Corcoran Road, Burlington, MA 01803-2749. If you have any questions, please contact Val at firstname.lastname@example.org. Sponsors will receive special mention in our program as well as at the events, and donors at the $500 level or higher will also receive special mention via event signage.
Thanks to our generous scholarship donors, the Friends of Lynn & Nahant Beach, Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries, Massachusetts Bays National Estuary Program, and the Massachusetts Marine Educators.